What better way to celebrate the warm summer season than sipping a wine cocktail by the pool? Better yet, gather your friends and family to join in the festivities! Host an unforgettable pool party by mixing up some delicious summer cocktails for your guests. With many different wine flavors and varieties to consider, there are endless opportunities to create refreshing mixed drinks.
Cocktails that incorporate light and fruity flavors are especially ideal for summertime, which is why we’ve crafted a list of berry and citrus-inspired mixers. Read on for the best summertime wines and cocktail recipes to set your pool party over the top!
Best Wines for the Summertime
Before we dive into our list of mixed drinks, consider specific wine varieties you’d like to use. Each kind offers crisp, refreshing flavors and aromas to capture the essence of summer. Let’s look at some main wine classifications and their popular summertime varieties.
1. Fruity White Wine
A delicious white wine offers sweet and refreshing notes for summertime. With many white varieties to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect one to mix up some tasty cocktails. We especially recommend finding one with fruity notes to accompany the warm season. Here are some excellent white wine varieties to enjoy during summer:
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Grigio
2. Delicate Rosé Wine
With their delicate berry and citrus aromas, it’s no wonder rosé wines are a summertime delight. Consider finding a variety based on your favorite fruits or on the cocktail you plan to make. Below are some of the top rosé wines to sip poolside this summer:
- Provence Rosé
- Sangiovese Rosé
- Grenache Rosé
- Syrah Rosé
3. Light Red Wine
You can never go wrong with a rich red wine for summertime. A light-bodied red is especially ideal for summer since it can be chilled slightly. However, full-bodied reds can still be drinkable in summertime despite being best served at room temperature. Here are some light and refreshing red wine varieties:
- Pinot Noir
4. Chilled Sparkling Wine
Beat the summer heat with a chilled glass of sparkling wine. The cold beverage temperature paired with refreshing bubbles makes it ideal for a summertime cocktail. Its light and fruity notes make it all the more delicious. Consider one of these popular sparkling wine varieties for your mixed drink:
- Sparkling Rosé
Four Refreshing Poolside Cocktails
Need ideas for refreshing summer cocktails to wow your pool party guests? Whether you’re looking to serve white, red, rosé or sparkling wine cocktails at your upcoming gathering, we’ve included a recipe for each type. Browse the cocktail recipes below to see if any of them strike your fancy!
1. Fruity Sangria Lemonade
Nothing says summer quite like sangria made with chilled wine and fresh seasonal fruits. Putting a twist on a traditional red wine-based sangria, this recipe uses white wine for a lighter and even more refreshing beverage to enjoy by the pool. A splash of lemonade adds an unexpected tang to this sweet summery treat.
- A bottle of white wine
- A few lemon wedges
- A few orange slices
- A few lime wedges
- One peach, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup lemonade
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 oz. brandy — peach, berry or apricot-flavored
- 1 8-oz. can diced pineapple
- 2 cups chilled ginger ale
- Pour your wine into a serving pitcher.
- Squeeze the juices from your orange, lemon and lime wedges into the wine.
- Add your citrus fruit wedges to the pitcher, omitting the seeds if possible.
- Add in your peach slices, lemonade, strawberries, sugar, pineapple and brandy.
- Refrigerate the pitcher overnight to let the flavors settle.
- Add ice and ginger ale to the pitcher right before serving.
2. Strawberry Mojito
Make your pool party one to remember by serving up some charming strawberry mojitos for your guests. With a dreamy blend of cool mint, smooth rosé wine, fresh strawberries and tangy lime, this drink is bursting with summer flavors. While you can mix in any rosé variety you please, we especially recommend a sparkling rosé for an ultra-refreshing sip.
- 6 oz. rosé
- 2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 oz. homemade or storebought simple syrup
- 4 oz. rum
- Four sliced strawberries
- 14 mint leaves
- Divide your strawberries and mint leaves among two highball glasses, then muddle them gently.
- Fill the glasses with ice.
- Pour your rum, simple syrup, wine and lime juice into both glasses, then stir gently.
- Garnish your mojitos with fresh lime wedges, strawberries and additional mint leaves.
3. Red Wine Spritzer
Bask by the pool with a refreshing red wine spritzer in hand. With fresh berries, crisp seltzer and your choice of red wine, this drink is the true epitome of summertime. This beverage fruity and delicious, and it’s also quick and easy to make. Consider mixing up these red wine cocktails for your next pool party.
- A bottle of red wine
- ½ pint raspberries
- ½ pint blackberries
- 1 quart chilled seltzer or sparkling water
- Divide your raspberries and blackberries among six large wine glasses.
- Pour your wine over the berries, then let the glasses sit for about 10 minutes.
- Top each glass with seltzer just before serving.
4. Watermelon Champagne Cocktail
Bursting with rich, sweet and juicy flavors, it’s no surprise that watermelon is a beloved summertime fruit. When you pair it with some sparkling wine, it’s all the more refreshing. Quench your thirst on a hot day by mixing up some delicious watermelon champagne cocktails for your pool party.
- A bottle of champagne
- ¼ cup vanilla-flavored vodka
- 4 ¼ cup cubed watermelon
- 1 ½ oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 cup triple sec
- Blend your watermelon cubes on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Use a sieve to strain the mixture into a large container, then refrigerate for half an hour.
- Add the lime juice, vodka and triple sec to your chilled watermelon juice, then stir well.
- Divide this mixture among four champagne flutes right before serving, leaving some room at the top.
- Top each glass with champagne and enjoy!
Stock up on Summer Wines From Marketview Liquor
We hope these summer wine ideas have inspired some creative mixers for your next pool party. For crisp and refreshing wines to craft your cocktails, browse our selection at Marketview Liquor. No matter the variety, flavors or sweetness level you’re looking for, our wines are ideal to enjoy during summer or any other season of the year.
To ensure you have plenty of wine for your summertime gathering, consider ordering by the case to receive a 10% discount on select labels. With our rich reds, elegant whites and sparkling champagnes, you’ll surely find a wine for everyone to enjoy.
Experience rich, authentic flavors from around the world when you shop with Marketview Liquor. Browse our selection of wines and order yours today!