Are you looking for a crowd-pleasing, customizable cocktail that’s easy to make and suitable for just about any occasion? The white wine spritzer is your answer. White wine spritzers are the ultimate party drink because they’re light and refreshing, making them easy to sip all night without feeling weighed down. Although a white wine spritzer is delicious any time of the year, it’s an especially great drink during the summer due to its bright, fruity flavors.
If you’re not sure what a white wine spritzer recipe is or how to come up with a good one, this article is for you. Below, you’ll learn what a white wine spritzer drink is, how to make a spritzer with white wine and what the best white wine spritzer recipe for you is. Discover the perfect white wine spritzer drink recipe for your next big event, small gathering, girls’ night or me time.
What Is a White Wine Spritzer?
In its simplest form, a white wine spritzer is a mixed drink made with white wine and soda water. Diluting wine with water dates all the way back to 19th-century Austria, when it was used as a way to create bubbly wine. Typically, the wine gets diluted to about 75% or 50%, depending on personal taste.
Be careful not to confuse a spritzer with a spritz. The difference between the drinks is about as subtle as the difference in their spelling. While a spritz is made with sparkling wine, bitters and soda water, a spritzer most often uses still wine and gets all of its bubbles from the non-alcoholic components of the drink. This makes a spritzer lower in alcohol content and more thirst-quenching than a spritz.
What Does a White Wine Spritzer Taste Like?
White wine spritzers are best known for being extremely refreshing. As a fizzy, slightly drier take on plain wine, a spritzer in its most basic form solely offers some carbonation to white wine. However, most white wine spritzer recipes include some sweet ingredients, such as fresh fruit or flavored soda, to balance out the dry wine’s taste.
What Is the Best White Wine for a Spritzer?
When it comes to how to make a good white wine spritzer, it all starts with the wine. The beauty of a white wine spritzer is you can use any white wine you want as long as you make sure it’s thoroughly chilled before you start. This means the best white wine for a spritzer is your favorite white wine!
It is helpful to choose your white wine after deciding on what mix-ins you want to include in your spritzer. If you plan on adding sweet ingredients to your spritzer, such as fruit juice, you may want to pick a dry wine. On the other hand, you may want to go with a sweeter wine if your other ingredients won’t add much sweetness to the drink.
As you experiment with different spritzer combinations, you’ll discover the best wine for white wine spritzers according to your own tastes. Until then, consider these top white wine recommendations for a crisp, dry spritzer:
If you’re in the mood for a sweeter spritzer, try one of these white wines that taste more like dessert:
What Is a White Wine Spritzer Made Of?
In general, a white wine spritzer consists of white wine, sparkling water or club soda and a garnish of some sort. Aside from these basic white wine spritzer ingredients, what goes in a white wine spritzer is entirely up to you. You can choose whether to use flavored sparkling water, what types of garnishes to include, whether to add other liquids and if you’ll customize your drink other ways.
The following section will give you more ideas on how to customize your white wine spritzer.
How to Make a White Wine Spritzer Drink
Now that you’re familiar with what a spritzer is, here are the five fundamental steps for how to make a wine spritzer with white wine:
- Chill a bottle of white wine.
- Pour a serving of the chilled white wine into a glass.
- Add as much soda water as you’d like, usually around 25% of the mixture.
- Stir gently.
Once you have this basic concept down, you can start incorporating your favorite fruit flavors, fun garnishes and other add-ins.
How Do You Make a White Wine Spritzer Your Own?
If you’re wondering how to make a white wine spritzer personalized, you’re in luck — your wine spritzer ingredient options are virtually limitless! You can step up your white wine spritzer game by adding anything from fresh fruit and herbs to popsicles and kombucha. You can choose your spritzer ingredients according to taste, aesthetic appeal or both.
Here are some white wine ingredient options to get your creative juices flowing:
- Berries: Sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or blackberries go great with dry white wine spritzers.
- Citrus: Citrus fruits like lemon, lime and orange are great for adding some tartness to a sweeter spritzer.
- Other fruit: Aside from citrus and berries, you can add cherries, peaches, apples or just about any other fruit to your white wine spritzer.
- Herbs: Using some fresh mint, basil or thyme as a garnish for your spritzer can add an exquisite layer of flavor.
- Flavored soda: Sneak some extra flavor into your spritzer by using a flavored soda like Sprite, Fanta, 7Up Cherry, Sunkist and others. Using flavored sparkling water or seltzer is another great way to make your spritzer pop without altering the color as much.
- Fruit juice: Sweeten your spritzer up a bit by adding some fruit juice. Sipping on a white wine spritzer with a splash of orange juice, pineapple juice or any other fruit juice will have you feeling like you’re on a tropical vacation.
- Ginger beer: Using ginger beer instead of soda in your spritzer will give the drink an extra zing.
- Kombucha: Swap out the soda in your spritzer for kombucha to keep things interesting. As a naturally effervescent fermented tea, kombucha will boost your spritzer’s bubbles while adding more flavor and sweetness.
- Hard alcohol: Give your white wine spritzer a bit more pizzazz by adding a shot of flavored vodka or other types of spirits.
- Popsicles: Skip the ice cubes and keep your spritzer cool with popsicles. Simply pour white wine and sparkling water into a glass, dunk a popsicle in the mixture and let the frozen treat infuse your spritzer with its fruity flavors.
With so many varieties of flavored sodas, fruit slices and more to choose from, you can whip up a different white wine spritzer every weekend.
10 Best White Wine Spritzer Recipes
Having the freedom to mix and match whatever flavors you want with your white wine spritzer gives you a world of possibilities. But it’s always nice to have a reliable white wine fruit spritzer recipe up your sleeve. If you’re not sure how to start mixing your own spritzer, check out these top 10 recipes for white wine spritzer beginners:
1. Classic White Wine Spritzer Recipe
When it comes to classic white wine spritzer recipes, this basic spritzer recipe is the textbook standard. If you’re looking for a no-frills, uncomplicated white wine spritzer, this is the recipe for you.
You’ll only need a few things to make a classic spritzer:
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup seltzer
- 1/2 cup ice
Use these steps to make this drink:
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Pour the wine into the glass, then add the seltzer.
On nights you’re feeling a bit more creative, you can jazz this recipe up by adding your favorite flavors and garnishes.
2. Easy White Wine Spritzer Recipe
If you want one of the easiest white wine spritzer cocktail recipes of all time, look no further! This simple spritzer recipe calls for just three ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a single-serve cocktail in minutes:
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup club soda
- One lemon rind
Here are the instructions:
- Pour the wine into a tall glass.
- Top off the glass with the club soda.
- Peel a section of lemon rind using a vegetable peeler or paring knife.
- Twist the lemon rind over the glass before adding it to the liquid.
Get the most out of this easy spritzer by chilling both the white wine and club soda as much as possible before serving. You can get them cold by placing them in the freezer for up to half an hour before crafting your cocktail.
3. White Wine Spritzer Recipe With Sauvignon Blanc
This sauvignon blanc spritzer recipe features an innovative combination of fresh fruit and herbs. As a bonus, the vibrant colors and fun shape of the melon cubes make this delicious mixed drink delightful to look at, too.
Brighten up your day by concocting the recipe with these ingredients:
- 4-5 ounces of chilled sauvignon blanc
- 2-3 ounces of chilled club soda
- About four frozen melon cubes, like watermelon
- One large sprig of fresh basil
Use these steps to make this spritzer:
- Place the frozen melon cubes in a glass.
- Pour the wine over the melon cubes.
- Add the club soda and stir gently.
- Tear off some fresh basil leaves and use them as a garnish.
If you have a melon baller, you can use that to shape your frozen melon into spheres instead. Consider making extra frozen melon cubes or spheres so you can use them throughout the week or churn out a sophisticated spritzer at a moment’s notice.
4. Champagne White Wine Spritzer Recipe
You can make a truly beautiful cocktail with a bottle of Champagne. Specifically, a pomegranate Champagne spritzer is perfect for both the summer and the winter. No matter the weather, you’ll enjoy sipping on this flavorful and bubbly spritzer.
Gather these ingredients:
- One bottle of Champagne
- 1/2 of a pomegranate
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2 cup water
Follow these steps to make this refreshing drink:
- Release the arils from the pomegranate half by holding the pomegranate over a bowl and hitting it with a wooden spoon.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon half over the pomegranate arils.
- Pour the water over the pomegranate and lemon juice mixture, then stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into an ice cube tray and place the tray in the freezer for about an hour or until frozen solid.
- Put one of the pomegranate ice cubes in a glass and top it off with Champagne.
- Allow the ice cube to melt a bit before enjoying.
5. White Wine Spritzer Recipe With Chardonnay
If you have a bottle of chardonnay you’re itching to use, you’ll love this white wine spritzer recipe with chardonnay. A hint of ginger and refreshing lime juice pair perfectly with the dry white wine to create an invigorating spritzer.
Here’s what you need to make it:
- 4-5 ounces of chilled chardonnay
- 2-3 ounces of chilled ginger beer
- Juice from half a lime
- Fresh or candied ginger
Follow the recipe to put your chardonnay to good use:
- Pour the chardonnay into a glass, then top it off with the ginger beer.
- Add the lime juice and stir gently.
- Garnish your cocktail with your fresh or candied ginger.
If you like your wine spritzers on the sweeter side, you can swap the ginger beer for ginger ale. You can also play with the proportions of the liquids to adjust the sweetness.
6. White Wine Sangria Spritzer Recipe
If you can’t get enough of sangria in the summertime, this white wine sangria spritzer will quickly become your new favorite cocktail. The cocktail’s gorgeous pink tint also makes it perfect for the summer season. Follow this recipe the next time you can’t decide whether you want wine, sangria or a spritzer.
Get these ingredients together to make this spritzer:
- One bottle of a chilled dry white wine
- Two peaches, peeled
- 1/2 cup of cherries, pitted and cut into pieces
- One shot of lemon-flavored vodka
- 12 ounces of cold lemon-lime soda or soda water
- Several cherries with the stem for garnish
Follow these steps to create this flavorful beverage:
- Cut the peaches into small pieces and place them in a bowl with the pitted and chopped cherries.
- Pour white wine into the bowl until the fruit is completely covered.
- Add the vodka to the bowl, stir, cover and place in the fridge for about an hour or so.
- Once the fruit mixture has chilled, pour it into a sangria jug or pitcher, along with the rest of the white wine and the soda.
- Gently stir the mixture.
- Pour the sangria spritzer into glasses and add a whole cherry to the rim of each glass.
7. Low-Calorie White Wine Spritzer Recipe
Just because you’re keeping an eye on calories doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a white wine spritzer. With a mojito white wine spritzer, you can have a refreshing cocktail for less than 100 calories. Next time you’re craving a lighter drink, try this recipe.
Gather these ingredients:
- 4 ounces of white wine
- 4 ounces of seltzer
- Four mint leaves
- The juice of half a lime
- About four drops of stevia, optional
Here’s how you make it:
- Gently muddle the mint leaves with the lime juice in the bottom of your glass.
- If you are using stevia, add the drops to the mint leaves and lime juice for additional sweetness.
- Pour the white wine into your glass.
- Top it off with seltzer and mix well.
If you don’t have seltzer on hand, you can substitute club soda.
8. White Wine and Sprite Spritzer Recipe
Sprite is a staple ingredient in spritzer recipes. Sprite’s inherent lemon-lime taste allows you to get more flavor with fewer ingredients. Follow this white wine and Sprite spritzer recipe to create a delicious cocktail for minimal effort.
Here’s what you need to make this recipe for a crowd:
- One bottle of white wine
- 1 liter of Sprite or another lemon-lime soda
Follow these simple steps to create this drink:
- Fill the glasses you’re using completely with ice.
- Pour the white wine until each glass is half full.
- Top off the glasses with Sprite.
- Stir gently and serve.
You can ramp up this recipe by using a different flavored Sprite, such as cranberry Sprite, depending on your personal preferences.
9. White Wine Spritzer Recipe With Moscato
This super sweet white wine spritzer recipe gets its sugar boost from moscato, which is one of the sweetest white wine varieties around. The saccharine nature of moscato makes it the perfect partner for fresh, juicy strawberries, as demonstrated by the fruity white wine spritzer recipe below. Whether you choose to enjoy your moscato spritzer as a mid-day treat or for dessert, you’ll love this delectable drink.
Use the following to make this recipe:
- 1/2 cup of moscato
- 1/2 cup of lemon-lime soda
- About four fresh strawberries, cut in half
Follow these steps to make a moscato spritzer:
- Pour both the wine and soda into a glass.
- Stir to combine.
- Spoon the strawberries into the glass.
- Top with ice and enjoy.
If you plan on making this moscato spritzer for a crowd, use a full bottle of wine and about three cups of soda. Add fresh strawberries and ice to each glass.
10. Citrus White Wine Spritzer Recipe
Citrus fruit and white wine are like two peas in a pod. Because the flavors complement each other so nicely, a citrus white wine spritzer is a must. The best part about this citrus white wine spritzer recipe is you can use it year-round. Simply switch out the lighter flavors for wintertime fruits like blood orange and grapefruit during the colder months.
Gather these ingredients to make a large batch:
- Two bottles of dry white wine, such as pinot grigio
- Two cans of sparkling water or seltzer with real fruit juice, preferably a citrus flavor
- One orange
- One lemon
- One lime
- Unflavored sparkling water or seltzer for serving
Follow these instructions to make this recipe:
- Prepare the citrus fruits by cutting them into halves and then cutting the halves into thin slices.
- Pour the dry white wine and sparkling water with fruit juice into a large pitcher.
- Arrange the fruit slices as garnishes around the rim of the pitcher.
- Pour some of the wine mixture into glasses until they are a little more than half full.
- Top off each glass with a bit of plain sparkling water, which will add some fizziness.
- Garnish each glass with a couple of fresh citrus fruit slices before serving.
Make sure you chill both the white wine and the sparkling water ahead of time — you’ll want this drink served as cold as possible. If you aren’t able to find sparkling water with real fruit juice, you can substitute plain sparkling water with bottled orange juice. Start by adding about half a cup of orange juice to the mixture at a time, tasting the mixture and then adding more juice until it reaches your desired level of sweetness.
Order Your White Wine Spritzers From Marketview Liquor
If you’re ready to give white wine spritzers a try, order your white wine spritzer from Marketview Liquor today. At Marketview Liquor, we offer a wide variety of pre-made wine spritzers so you can enjoy a spritzer flavor you love while saving time and energy. When you order a pack of white wine spritzers from Marketview Liquor, all you have to do is crack open the can, sit back and enjoy!
For those who would rather mix up their own spritzer, check out our large inventory of white wines. We have everything from chardonnay and pinot grigio to moscato and riesling, so you’ll have no problem finding the perfect bottle for your spritzer recipe. Ordering our wines online is easy, and you can get your favorite bottle of white wine shipped directly to your door.
Treat yourself to a refreshing cocktail any day of the week by checking out the spritzers and wine options at Marketview Liquor today.